Tuesday, October 3, 2017

2. Serve in Your Home

As I snuggled into my couch on Saturday morning, attentively listening to General Conference, I was really touched by all of the speakers. However, one speaker's words in particular really stuck with me. "Begin service in your own home and within your own families."

When she said these words, I realized how important this aspect of service is and how often it is overlooked. She went on to describe that many young adults are so focused on how they can change the world in big ways, but what they don't realize is that the most powerful way to change the world is in their own home. This is so true, as our families are a sacred unit that can help us to learn and to grow. If we show love towards those in our homes and serve them when possible, we are likely to show love to those around us in the world and serve them as well. That is why this is the most powerful way we can serve.

Sister Oscarson's talk really struck me and motivated me to list some ways that I can serve my family (aka my husband). . .

1. Make an effort to not complain when he leaves the kitchen a mess and help him to clean it instead.

2. Show my love by leaving nice notes for him and doing one little act of service for him each day (like packing him a treat in his lunch).


All in all, Sister Oscarson's talk really had an impact on me and really encouraged me to want to serve my husband (family) whenever I can. Though there are only two items on my list so far, I know that, by starting with these small acts of service, I can make a big difference in my family and in our marriage.

7 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! Service doesn't always have to be a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you actually made a plan to implement Sister Oscarson's talk in your own life in very specific ways. Also, I really enjoy how your theme and font choices for the blog reflect the good message in your blog post and it creates a sort of happy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Sister Oscarson's talk. I don't know why we so often try to look so far away from our home and those we are with every day. Since I got married I have really realized how necessary service in the home is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about General Conference! I love GC week more than any other week in the year. I loved Sister Oscarson's talk, thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. Plus, I feel like it can be even harder when your trying to serve your husband. I like your blog theme, very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, so thanks for writing about it! So many people get all up in arms about national issues when these issues probably wouldn't be a problem in the first place if people just loved their spouses and taught their children good values. Care about the home first and then spread your love from there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great talk, I think it's very important to focus on your family first because the positive consequences of doing this will be exponential. If we focus on serving our families our children will learn that service to others is of God, which will lead them to turn outwards as you have done for them, blessing the lives of many people.

    ReplyDelete

15. Conclusion

The time has come for this blog to come to an end. It's the big conclusion, the big "see ya later". I've always love...